Privacy | BB-8™
BB-8™ App-Enabled Droid Powered by Sphero
Last Updated: May 23, 2018
Sphero, Inc. (“Sphero”, “we” or “us”) is committed to protecting your privacy.
1. Data we collect. We collect Identity Data, Contact Data, Sensor Data, Mobile Data (together with Identity Data, Contact Data, and Sensor Data, “Personal Data”), and Toy Data, each as defined below.
a) Data You Provide to Us Upon Toy Configuration.
- Identity Data: Your age
- Contact Data: If you are over 13 (or such age as local law dictates), you may choose to provide your email address.
- Sensor Data: You may choose to use certain features of the Application that require access to the microphone, camera, or location data of your device.
b) Data Collected Automatically via Technology on our Services. The examples of Data given below are illustrative and subject to change in Sphero’s sole discretion.
- Mobile Data. If you download our Application, we may collect the type of mobile device, device carrier, its software version, and the like.
- Toy Data: Using Bluetooth, the Toy transmits Toy Data to the Application such as Toy identifier, when a Toy connects to an Application, when you click the “buy” button in the Application, date/time stamps, non-personal diagnostic data regarding how you use the Application, MAC Address or device identifier depending on the Toy, accelerometer data, crashes, and the like. If you choose to send us diagnostics, we may process your email address and Toy Data.
2. Use of Your Data. Subject to your Rights and Choices below, we use your Data as follows.
- a) Identity Data. We use your Identity Data to comply with applicable privacy law. Specifically, we use your Identity Data to tell whether you are a child, as defined by local law. We may vary the parts of the Service available to you or the data collected about you based on your age to comply with applicable laws.
- b) Contact Data. We use your Contact Data to provide support services if you contact us, and for promotional marketing if you have consented to receive such emails. For example:
- If you contact us through customer service or support, we will use your Contact Data to respond to your comments and questions, and to provide customer service.
- For non-child users, if you have chosen to provide your Contact Data within the Application, we may send you newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Services, and for other direct marketing purposes. We may share your Contact Data with a Service Company (defined below) for this purpose. We do this to promote our products and issue our direct marketing.
- c) Sensor Data. We process this data on your device, not as part of an information society service. We will obtain consent in the Application before collecting this data, and you may cease collection of this data at any time by consulting your Application’s settings. However, some features of the Application or Toy may not function without the Sensor Data. We process this data to personalize your experience and to provide features in the Application. For example:
- We use Sensor Data from your microphone to enable the Watch With Me™ feature.
- We use Sensor Data from your camera for augmented reality driving.
- We use Sensor Data from your location on Android Devices to enable Bluetooth functionality.
- d) Mobile Data and Toy Data. We use the Toy Data and Mobile Data for our legitimate business interests, including:
- to understand a user’s engagement in an activity or feature, for example which activities on the Toy the user played, time spent on activities, and data about any crashes during use;
- to operate our Application and Services, internal operations, and systems, along with the Service Companies;
- to improve the quality of experience when you interact with our Application and Services;
- to provide, support, and maintain the Toy, Application, and features that enable people, including children, to enjoy the Toy and Application;
- to secure our platform and network, investigate suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies, and to protect the safety of Personal Data, including to prevent exploitation or other harms to which users may be particularly vulnerable.
- e) Support. If you contact us for support through the Application, we may collect first and last name, email address, and any information you choose to include in your query.
- a) Direct Marketing. We use Sailthru as an email list administrator. We share your Contact Data with them if you provide it to us.
4. Rights and Choices. You may exercise the below Rights and Choices by emailing Sphero’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com. Our mailing address is Sphero, Inc., Attn: DPO, 4772 Walnut St., Suite 206, Boulder, CO 80301.
- a) Access. You may receive a list of your Personal Data that we process to the extent required and permitted by law.
- b) Rectification. You may correct any Personal Data that we hold about you to the extent required and permitted by law.
- c) Erasure and Objection to Processing. To the extent required by applicable law, you may request that we delete your Personal Data from our systems. You can stop future collection of all Data by the Application by uninstalling it.
- d) Data Export. To the extent required by applicable law, we will send you a copy of the Personal Data we hold from you in a common portable format of our choice.
- e) Direct Marketing. Residents of California (and others as required by applicable law) may request a list of Personal Data we have disclosed about you to third parties for direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. This request must be written, signed, and mailed to us, unless otherwise required by applicable law. You may cease direct marketing from us in relation to the Application by firstname.lastname@example.org , or by clicking the unsubscribe link in any promotional email we send you.
- f) Regulator Contract. You have the right to contact or file a complaint with regulators or supervisory authorities about our processing of Personal Data. To do so, please contact your local data protection or consumer protection authority.